Connecting the Polar Gateway to Lovato DCRL8
This guide will show you how to connect the Polar Monitoring Gateway to the Lovato DCRL8 Power Factor Correction(PFC) controller using the EXP1012 Module. It will also take you through the setup and parameters required on the Lovato DCRL8 controller to ensure communications to the Polar Gateway.
Make sure to have:
- The Polar Monitoring Gateway.
- Antenna if using LTE Gateway
- RS-485 cable.
- The Lovato DCRL Power Factor Controller
- The EXP 1012.
Steps to follow:
- Power down the system
- Insert the EXP1012 module into the DCRL8.
- Connect power to the Gateway.
- Connect RS-485.
- Final checks.
- Power On the system.
- Configure the DCRL8 Serial Parameters
1. Power Down the System
If this is a new install or if installing the system onto a currently opperational system on site it is important to power down the entire system before working on it.
Once power is off and the area is safe proceed to the next steps.
2. Insert the EXP module into the DCRL8 controller.
The EXP1012 is a RS-485 Expansion module used to provide the RS-485 communications output for the DCRL controllers. To install the module mount the EXP1012 to any of the available expansion module slots at the back of the Lovato DCRL FPC controller. Make sure the module is installed securely.
For more details on how to wire the DCRL8 click on this link.. to get the user/install manuals for the PFC controller.
Lovato DCRL8 Connection Setup
3. Connect Power to the Gateway
Once the EXP1012 module is installed it is time to mount and connect the Polar Gateway. Follow the user manual provided in your package for information Wire the Polar Gateway to a 12-24 V DC power supply. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal and the negative wire to the negative terminal.
4. Connect RS-485
Next we need to wire in the RS-485 cable to allow communication with the Polar Gateway device. Connect A+ => A and the B- => B. Make sure that you use a sheilded twisted pair cable for the communications
5. Final checks
- Make sure the power is OFF while doing the cable wiring.
- Re-check if there are no short circuits.
- Check if the power cables are securely wired to the Gateway.
- Check if the power cables are securely wired to the PFC controller
- Re-check the RS-485 twisted pair cables is correctly connected A+ => A and B- => B and secure.
6. Power on the system
Now you are ready to go, you can now switch on the Polar Gateway and the DCRL8.
7. Configure DCRL8 Serial Parameters
Note: It is critical to change the default settings to reflect the table below.
Serial Communication Setup
Node Serial Address
8 bit – n
8 bit – n
Communication Stop Bits
You may now sign in to the Polar Portal to monitor the device remotely, the button on the right will take you through a setup process.