Installation Manual: GSM Connect – Delta
WIRING AND INSTALLATION MANUAL
- 1 x GSM Connect Modem
- 1 x Cable
- 1 x GSM Antenna
Disconnect all power
Please ensure that all power to the panel has been disconnected before doing any work on the devices. Never connect telemetry up while the system is running.
For RS485 to work effectively, it needs to use a 4 core twisted pair shielded cable.
Cable core Usage
Below labels the 4 cables wiring from the
GSM connect unit to the power supply and to the Variable Speed Drive (VSD)
+12v to 24v DC
RS485 A (+)
RS485 B (-)
Cable Core Selection
Please ensure that the RS485 data cables
are in the same twisted pair.
RS458 Serial Settings & Parameters
The GSM Connect comes with the following default parameters programmed. Most VSD units have the parameters below set by default.
Table 2 Modbus Serial Settings
Please ensure that your VSD communication settings correctly represent these. Drive specific settings are recorded below. In Group 9 ( Pr.09)
The placement of the GSM antenna is crucial to successful operation of the system. The better the signal the more stable & reliable connection the modem will have.
- The GSM antenna must be mounted outside the enclosure and preferably as high up as possible away from hard surfaces.
- The GSM antenna cannot be mounted inside of any metal enclosure as this will act as faraday cage and prevent signal from reaching it.
- The higher up the GSM antenna can be the better chance of finding a stronger signal.
- Keep vandalism or and physical damage from animas etc. in mind when placing the antenna.
VSD Wiring Instructions
On the Delta drives, the communication port is a RJ-45 adapter (Also known as a Lan Cable). Meaning there is only one orientation in-which the cable will connect.
Below is the pin order and orientation for wiring the RJ-45 cable
The communication parameters for the Delta CP2000 are all in group 9 please see table below for outline of parameters and codes.
COM 1 transmission speed
COM 1 transmission fault treatment
0: Warm and continue operation
1: Fault and ramp to stop
2: Fault and coast to stop
3: No warnings, no fault and continue operation
COM 1 time-out detection
In order to remotely control the drive, one needs to make some small changes to the running parameters on the drive. Please note this is optional.
This can be done be changing the below two parameters to run through the RS-458 serial communication parameter
00-30 Source of the Master Frequency Command (HAND)
Settings 0: Digital keypad
1: RS-485 serial communication
2: External analog input (Pr.03-00)
3: External UP/DOWN terminal
6: CANopen communication card
8: Communication card (no CANopen card)
00-31 Source of the Operation Command (HAND)
Settings 0: Digital keypad
1: External terminals. Keypad STOP disabled
2: RS-485 serial communication. Keypad STOP disabled
3: CANopen communication card
5: Communication card (not including CANopen card)
- Secure both the Delta VSD and the modem into the enclosure.
- Ensure that the connection screws are tightly fastened.
Connecting the RS 485
- Starting with the RS485 connection. (Blue and White Cables)
- Twist the length of cable to be used around itself to form a braid to minimize interference in communication. On the top end of the modem Wire the WHITE wire into (A) and the BLUE wire into (B)
Connecting The Power
The modem unit runs on the power drawn through the CAT6 cable with RJ-45 connector that is plugged in to the Delta drive
(Note: do not plug the modem into AC power or a different dc power source)
- On the Modem, wire the Red wire into the positive (+) and the BLACK wire into the negative (–) terminals.