Abb ACS580 Variable Speed Drive
This guide will show you how to connect the Polar Gateway to ABB ACS580 Variable Speed Drive. It will also take you through how to setup the parameters required ACS 580 device to ensure communications to the Gateway.
Steps to follow:
- Connect power to the Gateway.
- Connect RS-485.
- Final checks.
- Power on the system.
- Configure the ABB ACS580 Serial Parameters
ABB ACS580 Connection Setup
1. Connect power to the Gateway.
Wire the Polar Gateway to a 12-24 V DC power supply. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal and the negative wire to the negative terminal.
2. Connect RS-485.
Wire the RS-485 cable to allow communication with the Polar Gateway device. Connect A+ => X5 Pin 29 B+ and B- => X5 Pin 30 A- .
3. Final checks
- Make sure the power is OFF while doing the cable wiring.
- Re-check if there are no short circuits.
- Check if the power cables are not loosely wired to the Gateway.
- Check if the power cables are not loosely wired to the Variable Speed Drive.
- Re-check the RS-485 twisted pair cables is correctly connected A+ => X5 Pin 29 B+ and B- => X5 Pin 30 A-.
4. Power on the system
Now you are ready to go, you can now switch on the Polar Gateway and the ABB ACS580.
5. Configure ABB ACS580 Serial Parameters
Note: It is critical to change the default settings to reflect the table below.
Serial Communication Setup
|Communication Address||Serial node address/Unit ID||58.03||1||1|
|Serial speed||Baud rate||58.04||3=19.2||2=9.6|
|Parity||Parity bit and number of stop bit||58.05||2=8 Even 1||0=8 None 1|
Note: By connecting to the X5 terminals, you are selecting to use Modbus RTU protocol.
You may now sign in to the Polar Portal to monitor the device remotely, the button on the right will take you through a setup process.